Tuesday 1 October 2013

Muse: Fermata on a rest

It was my last day at work at Faith yesterday. 

I thought I'd never say this - but I am quite relieved that I am back to being a full-time student (no more part-time work, part-time study) for now, till I graduate in November.

Most musicians (all classical ones at least) would be familiar with the fermata - an element of musical notation which indicates that a note, chord or a rest should be sustained beyond its time value - with the length of the extension at the performer's (or conductor's) discretion. A fermata - whether poignant, intoxicating, spine-chilling or fun - heightens the tension of both the musician and listeners while resolution is anticipated.
For the musician, a fermata on a rest creates a sort of stasis, whereby time seems to have been afforded for a breather... and yet, the truth be told, he enjoys not the luxury of cat-napping. Rather, he is kept busy, waiting and preparing to resume playing.

Metaphorically speaking, this is where I am with regards to teaching music. I'm finally taking a breather - and I don't know what's in store for me after the fermata on my "rest"... or if I will ever teach again. However, the artist in me knows that this isn't the end of my work in the music field and God will open doors in His good time. This isn't the time for complete "rest" from music either. Whether it's performing, writing music, writing about music (theologically) or completing my papers, I shall be busy - in prayer, work, waiting and preparation for the season to come.

No comments: